Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Wilco, August 29 at the Greek

Wilco were at the Greek the night after the Crowded House show. I got into the show a good 30 minutes late since Dave was late -- we didn't realize they would start so punctually. I never thought about it but there's probably a curfew up there, being near a ritzy neighborhood so most of the shows there start very much on time so they can get done before it's too late. But I got to hear all of it and they played for almost two hours so I don't feel like I missed anything. I always expect them to be more of a loose jam-band but at this show they played their songs tight and there wasn't much messing around. They played all the stuff you'd expect them to (especially if you only know them from the last few albums), including a lot off Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, "Impossible Germany" (one of the best and prettiest songs of the year), and what seemed like a 30 minute long version of "Spiders (Kidsmoke)". Nels Cline is insane, almost a better guitarist than the music needs. Our seats were on the terrace -- not great but, well, the band isn't much to look at but the music of their live show just about can't be beat.

No comments: