Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Youth Group/Nico Stai/Useless Keys, May 19 at the Troubadour

Vanessa wanted to see Nico Stai because she saw him on YouTube and thought he was cute. I heard the Youth Group album was good so I downloaded it and while I didn't think it was great at the time, I could check them out. Of course we drank considerably before the show. Vanessa also thought the singer of the Useless Keys, a local band, was cute, despite -- or maybe because -- he was about half her age. Apparently Nico Stai had a song on a TV show and, for the first time I'd ever been to a concert, not only was the crowd not mostly male but it was overwhelmingly female (and, unfortunately, mostly my age, from what I could tell). Most of the not-packed crowd cleared after him and then it was Youth Group, who had a bit of a down-beat, James-type vibe, and they didn't sell me any further on their music but I didn't mind them. A night out, in any case, and Vanessa owed me a show for a band she didn't know anything about.

No comments: