Friday, July 31, 2009

Bat for Lashes, August 31 at the Henry Fonda Theater

I didn't know Bat for Lashes well but Vanessa wanted to go so I was down for it. I had seen half of their/her set at Lollapalooza and it was energetic and good but I knew that they weren't meant to be out under the Chicago afternoon sun. I got a copy of Two Suns and really dug it. It's subtle, serious music but intense lyrics and delivery, something along the lines of a dreamy but troubled Sinead O'Connor, and all translated live in the best way possible. And I always notice good female drummers, especially when they seem attractive (though at a distance). I didn't really know about the hippie, Native American, wolves-at-night visual thing but it's only an accompaniment to the music, which is fantastic. Rachel went along and I don't remember that we drank much there (since Vanessa and I have been tot he Fonda enough to know that drinking there can be a pricey and disappointing proposition) but we drank at the place next door beforehand and that got us through, though it certainly wasn't necessary to chemically alter our brains to get the trippy vibe.

No comments: