Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunset Junction, August 23 in Silver Lake

Sunset Junction was more being at a street-fair with friends more than a concert. I love street-fairs and I like to visit and support local events but the year's line-up of music acts didn't really turn me on but Vanessa and Rachel wanted to go so I was in. There were probably better days for me: I was hung over and had been up with a girl the previous night/morning. But hanging out with Vanessa and Rachel is always a good day so I got better. I'm not so concerned about the political debacle between the event and the local residents, and I know the festival has changed since its early days (when it was free) and there was probably something to be said about 76% of the crowd being very gay men, but I was more concerned with just hanging out and seeing stuff (but not eating stuff since I wasn't up to it, and not buying anything because Vanessa got the hat I would have bought before me). As far as the music we sampled a few acts: Arrested Development, Morris Day & the Time (which might have had more weight if I had seen Purple Rain for the first time sooner than six months after this), a few others I can't remember, but we only watched for a little while then moved on. The music might give a centerpiece for the event but there's plenty of other stuff to do there on a beautiful California summer day, surrounded by all sorts of L.A. and Hollywood's residents.

No comments: