Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Interpol, October 19 at the Fox Theater

Amazingly, I think I've only seen Interpol a few times, mostly at festivals. They were doing a show at the Greek, and Vanessa invited me to go, but it was on the same weekend of my nieces' birthday party so I couldn't do it. But they were doing a show at the Fox in Pomona and that would be easy enough for me to get to after work. I went online as soon as they went on sale to get one ticket, assuming no one would want to drive all the out there with me for the show, and I got a general admission balcony seat, though I don't remember if I had an option for a floor ticket or not; the balcony was more expensive and I might have thought I would prefer to sit, I don't recall. In the time between getting the ticket and the show I met Carla and I invited her to the show. For some reason it didn't even cross my mind that the show might be sold out. She worked her contacts to try to get a ticket but it didn't happen. She went on Craigslist and there were plenty of tickets for the floor but nothing for the balcony. There were a few options that we had, including showing up and trying to get a ticket from a scalper or someone whose guest stiffed them for the show, but instead she got a pair of floor tickets and I lined up someone to buy my ticket from me. Of course there were a few problems with that plan: the tickets she got, which she picked up less than two hours before the show, could be fake and the guy who wanted my ticket could stand me up. However, we had no reason to fear. Everything went off exactly how it was planned, even leaving us a good half an hour before the band went on to get a drink. I might have gone on about how nice the Fox Theater is and it's true every time. A bit of a pain that the restrooms are upstairs and across the way but it's a minor complaint compared to how great the place is, to say nothing of the free parking. We didn't bother with openers White Rabbits. We didn't get much closer than the second-to-back section but the only reason to get close to the stage is to see what the guys are wearing that night. I thought it was odd that they were going on so early, at 9:15, but they went on right on the dot and didn't stop playing until more than an hour and later, taking a quick break before the encore, then three more songs for a show that was close to two hours. That's the best value I've had for a show in a while. And it was a great show, as it always is with those guys, even if their newer material isn't quite as strong as the older stuff, and that they hardly played anything off the first album. But it was great. And I really don't have much else to say about it except that it was a great night with Carla.

Interpol's set-list:
"Success"

"Slow Hands"
"Narc"
"Take You On A Cruise"
"Barricade"
"C'mere"
"Rest My Chemistry"
"Summer Well"
"Memory Serves"
"Evil"
"Leif Erikson"
"Lights"
"Say Hello To The Angels"
"Try It On"
"Not Even Jail"

"Hands Away"
"NYC"
"PDA"

No comments: