Sunday, September 24, 2017

Toadies/Local H, September 24, 2017 at the Troubadour

You’d think I might have had my fill of Local H by now, but I can barely help taking any opportunity to see them again. I can appreciate that they still play places far tinier than they deserve -- this even being the third time I’ve seen them at the Troubadour -- and they could have been doing yet another tour just the two of them with no team (which is astounding to consider, though young bands probably do it all the time, but the H have at least one hit that still gets played on the radio), and I can support that when I can. Carla is nearly the same with Toadies (though they’ve held on to their success enough to be able to consistently have roadies), and already I’d seen them more than a few times (even sometimes without her). Even if we might have hesitated for yet another show with either band (more for each partner rolling eyes that we'd want to see them yet again), when the wheel of combinations came up with these two together we were in for it. A show on Sunday night should have been easier to get to, not being after a day of work and commuting, though it ended up being a decompression event after having a harrowing and depressing meeting with our daughter’s guardians. But we had these tickets so at least we had something to go to, and maybe having plans even got us out of there sooner. While the show helped us recover, we were so zoned-out from the day's events that it passed through us, also mixing with recollections of the numerous other times we’ve seen both bands to be just another show not much indistinguishable from other times, except that both of these bands were playing together. Though Scott came out to do a cover of "I Put A Spell On You" with the Toadies. We missed opener Max Cady, and after whenever we got there we also spent much of the show in the back eating, and a bathroom break followed by checking out the merch turned in to us leaving, which might have been fine even for cutting out of a show early, except that we did it right after “Possum Kingdom” so we looked like those kinds of fans who show up for the big hit song then ditch out right after. I have the age to prove that wasn’t so but it would be hard to prove our case if you didn't know us. But no matter how much or how little we got of the show, they got our money as support to help keep them on the road.


Toadies set-list:
"Take Me Alive"
"Happy Face"
"You'll Come Down"
"You Know the Words"
"No Deliverance"
"When I Die"
"I Come From the Water"
"Broke Down Stupid"
"Summer of the Strange"
"I Put a Spell on You" (Screamin’ Jay Hawkins cover) (with Scott Lucas)
"Song I Hate"
"Possum Kingdom"
"Mama Take Me Home"
"Sweetness"
"Stop It" (Pylon cover)
"Tyler"

"I Want Your Love"
"Backslider"
"Rattler's Revival" (preceded by tease of Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good")
"I Burn"

Local H set-list:
"The Last Picture Show in Zion"
"Cooler Heads"
"Hit the Skids or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Rock"
"Gig Bag Road"
"Fritz's Corner"
"City of Knives"
"Freshly Fucked"
"Stoney"
"Laminate Man"
"John the Baptist Blues"
"Hands on the Bible"
"California Songs"
"Bound for the Floor"
"High-Fiving MF"

No comments: