Saturday, October 20, 2007

Electric Six, October 20 at the Casbah

I'd seen the Electric Six numerous times before but this was the first time in San Diego and the first time I'd been to the Casbah. Brian was down there and the show worked out for us, on a Saturday night, maybe their first show in what would become a yearly, early-autumn appearance at the venue. Matt was with us that night too. That night the Casbah became one of my favorite venues: divey but with history, not too big but separated with another bar in the back if the opening band sucks, chatty bartenders who will tell you about No Doubt and Social D (and nearly any other decent band that came up or started in sourthern California) playing there back in the day. It would have been a great night at a bar even if we hadn't been there to see the band. There were a number of people I talked to there who just stopped by the place to hang out and didn't even know what band was playing. Not great for the band (if they can't win over the fans) but a commendation about how cool the place is. I saw Dick, wearing a T-shirt and wool beanie, hanging out at the merch booth right before, and asked if they were going to play "Dance Epidemic" (which had been in my head all day) and he said "We'd be fools not to." Well, duh. Yeah, dumb question. As always before and after, the Six were awesome, playing all the hits, though I don't remember a lot of it because we had hours to kill before the show and we drank considerably. After the show I nabbed the set list from the stage and gave it as a present to Matt, who's always a cool guy. This was also the night that I talked the four girls we'd met there into coming back to Brian's place, but that isn't a story for this blog.

No comments: