Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Jesus + Mary Chain/Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, October 23 at the Wiltern

I wanted more of The Jesus and Mary Chain than I got at Coachella. To my surprise Ahmed is a fan so we made plans to go, even got tickets for the floor at the Wiltern. It seems to be a fairly regular thing that groups from years past get back together, legendary ones or otherwise, no matter how many promises they make that they would never do so, and even a band that doesn't have any new material can put on a show worth seeing (especially since no one wants to hear material made 20 years after the group's creative- and drug-peak); most of the time all anyone wants from these groups are the hits anyway, anything else is extra. And there was some extra at this show, though the hits (like "Head On") came early so the really casual fans could leave. The Wiltern had to contain their sound and maybe the group were sober and too overweight to be real punk rock anymore but I'd like to imagine it was nearly as good a show as they'd ever done, balanced by the fact that it wasn't truncated by a fistfight between the brothers. As great as they were, they were almost blown off the stage by openers Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. I'll always give JAMC the win in case of a tie but BRMC were really quite good, better than I'd seen them before, just putting their heads down and playing some solid, bottom-heavy rock. Originally to open was, I think, the Soulsavers, or something that involved Mark Lanegan, and I think Evan Dando played before both groups but we missed the rest.

No comments: